Have you ever bought more shredded Mozzarella cheese than you intended to? What did you do—allowed it to go bad or store it?
I’m sure you have ever had this disturbing question going through your mind a couple of times—can you freeze shredded Mozzarella?
And because of the many health benefits that cheese offers, it’s not a mistake to find yourself buying more shredded Mozzarella cheese than you need.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
You need to worry about how you’ll store it properly to ensure it doesn’t go bad. And that brings us to the question:
Can You Freeze Shredded Mozzarella Cheese?
Yes, you can freeze shredded Mozzarella cheese and, after that, store it for up to nine months without it going bad. However, ensure that you have kept it in an airtight container.
There are a few things you’d want to consider before freezing your Mozzarella cheese. Firstly, you need to understand that not all cheese types can be frozen.
For the cheeses that can be frozen, please ensure that you freeze them perfectly, as I will explain below. And finally, you need to be aware that frozen cheese won’t remain as versatile as before.
And if you need to freeze cheese, the best idea is to get pre-shredded cheese from your nearest grocery. The advantage of this is that you can directly put the shredded cheese into the freezer.
If you have purchased block cheese from the grocery, you can still shred it before taking it in the freezer. In other words, it’s better to freeze shredded cheese than block cheese.
How to Freeze Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
While you have an option to freeze Mozzarella cheese when it’s in a block shape, the best way to freeze cheese is first to slice it. This makes it easy for you to quickie grab a slice whenever you want to use your Mozzarella cheese.
However, this recommendation isn’t cast on stone—you can go with the shape that works for you. The idea is to get your Mozzarella cheese from the freezer as fast as you can. That said, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to freeze Mozzarella cheese:
- The first step is to remove any excess moisture from the shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Portion the cheese depending on your recipe requirements. You are free to go with any shape or size of your choice
- Once you have portioned the cheese, it’s time to extract more moisture from the shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Now transfer the portions into a freezer bag or container. You can choose to preheat the sliced pieces on a tray, but not necessary—you can always skip this process
- Now take the bags into the freezer and freeze flat. Once your cheese is frozen, you’ll be able to reorganize them
And that’s it. Your Mozzarella cheese is now safe in the freezer and can stay there for up to nine months. While it is a good idea to freeze Mozzarella cheese, why do most people also want to do the same?
Why Should You Freeze Shredded Mozzarella Cheese?
- The ability to freeze Mozzarella cheese gives you the freedom to purchase more Mozzarella at the grocery as you want
- Freezing allows you to store your Mozzarella for a more extended period—nine months
- You don’t have to be an expert chef to know how you can freeze Mozzarella cheese—the process is straightforward
- There are no technical equipment required in freezing your Mozzarella cheese
- You also have the option of freezing your Mozzarella cheese in its packaging
- Shredded Mozzarella freezes better than the usual fresh uncut Mozzarella
However, there are also circumstances when freezing shredded Mozzarella cheese isn’t a good idea. Below are some of those instances when you should not freeze Mozzarella.
When Not to Freeze Mozzarella Cheese
- Don’t freeze Mozzarella in its package when you need it to last longer
- When your Mozzarella might dry after you freeze it
- When your Mozzarella might crumble after you freeze it
- In case you don’t like it when the texture and flavor deteriorates after freezing
While it’s true that the pros outweigh the cons, it’s better that you are aware of them—at least to help you make a rational decision before freezing.
Storing Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
We have talked about storing Mozzarella cheese in the freezer, but what is the alternative to storing it in the freezer? Refrigerating your Mozzarella cheese is an alternative method of storing it, but for a shorter time than freezing.
Depending on what storage method you choose—refrigeration or freezing, ensure that you have kept your Mozzarella cheese in an airtight container. Below is how you can store your Mozzarella cheese in the fridge:
- Portion the shredded Mozzarella cheese you’d want to store and package it in an airtight container. Release excess air from the container and then seal tightly
- Put your shredded Mozzarella cheese in the fridge for a period ranging between two and four weeks. Ensure that you put the Mozzarella cheese in a cool, dry location in your fridge
In a nutshell, you need to ensure that the bags you use for storing your Mozzarella cheese are airtight and that it has no air insight.
How to Thaw Frozen Mozzarella Cheese
Sure, you now know how to store your Mozzarella cheese by freezing, but that’s not the end of the battle. You also need to understand how you will thaw it, and taking out your cheese to room temperature will affect its flavor and texture.
The first precaution is that you must never take out your Mozzarella from the freezer directly to the counter or tray.
Instead, take your Mozzarella from the freezer and put it in the fridge one day before you can use it. The refrigerator is usually warm enough and can kickstart the thawing process.
Please note that soft Mozzarella will deteriorate in quality once it has taken some time in the freezer. If you want to bring your Mozzarella’s texture, add some milk and microwave it for some seconds, then stir.
That said, below are a few tips you might also find helpful when thawing your shredded Mozzarella cheese:
- Thawing in the fridge will depend on the method you used to freeze your Mozzarella cheese. I recommend leaving it in the fridge overnight
- If you are going to use the counter, please ensure that you only use it for thin slices of Mozzarella cheese, as these will defrost in less than an hour
- You can skip defrosting if you want to melt your shredded Mozzarella cheese. Letting the oven take care of this before it melts is a good idea
If you did freeze your fresh Mozzarella on hand and you don’t need any moisture, patting the Mozzarella dry using a paper towel after thawing will be a good idea.
How Do I Use Frozen and Thawed Mozzarella?
It’s vital that you also know how you can use frozen and thawed Mozzarella cheese, especially if you try this for the first time. Below are ways you can use frozen and thawed shredded Mozzarella cheese:
- Topping—You can use this for fresh and block Mozzarella. You can do this by melting your Mozzarella on top of plain sliced bread
- Melting—If you want to do egg scrambles or even soups, melting your shredded Mozzarella cheese might be the best idea
- Additional recipes that require melted Mozzarella can also serve you better
Benefits of Preserving Mozzarella Cheese
Mozzarella cheese is becoming popular every day, so why are people preserving it for future use, or why are people purchasing it in bulk to find some they can preserve?
Its Health and Flavor is Indisputable
Mozzarella contributes a lot to your health, no matter what dishes you add to it. First, Mozzarella contains vitamin B7, which aids in keeping your nails pliable and reducing blood sugar levels.
What’s more, Mozzarella has riboflavin, which can help your body fight migraines and combat anemia. Besides, it has niacin, which helps with turning fat into energy.
But besides the health benefits that Mozzarella offers to your body, it also has a unique flavor. When heated, Mozzarella can melt and get soft and creamy, making it a perfect match for all the baked dishes you can think of.
1. Can I Freeze a Bag of Shredded Cheese?
Yes, you can freeze a bag of shredded cheese in the freezer and last up to four months before it loses its quality. However, you can still keep the shredded Mozzarella cheese for up to nine months if you want to use it, thaw or melt it.
2. Does Shredded Mozzarella Cheese Go Bad?
Yes and no. If properly stored, you can store shredded Mozzarella cheese in the freezer for up to nine months, but it will still be safe beyond that period. To determine if your shredded Mozzarella has gone bad, smell the cheese.
Usually, if the shredded Mozzarella cheese has mold on it, that’s a sign that it has gone bad. Likewise, if the odor is off or the flavor doesn’t seem like it should be, then your Mozzarella has gone bad and it will be best to dispose of it.
3. What Happens if You Freeze Shredded Cheese?
Your shredded cheese will go crumbly after you freeze and defrost it because you will have decreased the moisture level. If you seal the shredded cheese, it will protect against icy temperatures, making the freezer burn.
Bottom Line for Freezing Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
That’s all about freezing shredded Mozzarella cheese. Hopefully, I have answered your most burning question—can you freeze shredded Mozzarella cheese and its related questions.
If you have any other questions you’d love me to clarify, please leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to respond to it in time.
Likewise, if you have any experience freezing shredded Mozzarella cheese, please let me know in the comments because I’m buzzing to hear your experience doing it.